THE GATEWAY TO ALL THINGS UTONAGAN

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

The Forum for the Original and Authentic Utonagan and Utonagan Type Dog.

Latest topics

» Happy Birthday.
Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm by Brandykins

» Despatches - Undercover Designer Dogs
Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am by Admin

» Sulin Puppies 8 weeks
Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 am by gbjoce

» Sulin Pups 5 Weeks Today
Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 am by windriver

» More Sulin Pic's of pups
Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am by Awfal

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DIRTY DOZEN
Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Awfal

» Sulin Puppies Now Four Weeks
Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am by gbjoce

» Are there Birthdays in Heaven?
Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm by Brandykins

» Hee! hee ! It's Crimbo !
Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm by Admin

Navigation

Affiliates

Poll

Urgent Needs to be rehomed asap

kachinas
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 2702
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Urgent Needs to be rehomed asap

Post by kachinas on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:52 am

Hi all,
    I have someone that has a N.I. cross, that needs to be rehomed asap! :-(
    His name is Whiley, he is 21 mths old, neutered only 3-4 weeks ago, Mother full NI, father half NI hal Malamute.
    He has issues, aggression towards other dogs, does not like being left alone, territorial with furnisher.

I know this is a long shot, but I said I would try to help.
    I have met this dog, as I did a 1-2-1 with them last week,
    they have another NI, a 6yr old female, who is quite mature and calm,
    however, they work all day, though sometimes they can take the dogs in with them, Whiley is proving to be more than a handful, I feel they are a little too laid back for him as he seemed to me to be a very willful boy. In the right hands I feel he will do well.
    I eel he would be better as an only dog, as he is not bonding with this couple Crying or Very sad
    When I met him, he had little interest in me other than a quick sniff, and he showed no interest in his owners.

I feel with structure in his life he will do well!

VIP

Number of posts : 3364
    Registration date : 2008-09-24

Re: Urgent Needs to be rehomed asap

Post by carol on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:58 am

nice looking boy do hope he finds the right home very soon will ask around and let people know.
    but think 90% of them wouldnt be right for him but they might know someone
    you never know.
    kachinas
    Admin
    Admin

Post by kachinas on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:01 am

thanks Carol,
    I'm hoping the breeder will offer help, but not holding my breath!

Admin

Number of posts : 10610

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:04 am

He is a lovely looking boy and hope he finds someone soon. You never know, the breeder may well help, fingers crossed eh?

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:05 am

Aww poor lad, I hope that there is someone out there who is just right for him. I too will keep my ears and eyes open for him lol!
    mara64
    Youngster
    Youngster

Number of posts : 251
    Registration date : 2010-10-12

Post by mara64 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:06 am

handsome boy. pity he was not nearer as i think our dog whisperer friend could have helped. he is fab
    i have seen him rehabilitate 2 bull terriers who were trained to fight since they were 5 weeks old and were really aggresive, now they are real teddy bears
    kachinas
    Admin
    Admin

Post by kachinas on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:08 am

Thanks Lyn and June Smile

Admin

Post by kachinas on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:11 am

mara64 wrote:handsome boy. pity he was not nearer as i think our dog whisperer friend could have helped. he is fab
    i have seen him rehabilitate 2 bull terriers who were trained to fight since they were 5 weeks old and were really aggresive, now they are real teddy bears

Thanks, Smile , I was working with him/them, but I feel, they don't have the commitment to be firm and fair with him, and now, they lady is frightened of him, so it's not helping matters Crying or Very sad
    They have only had him a few months! Poor boy,

VIP

Number of posts : 3396
    Registration date : 2009-09-20

Post by gbjoce on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:38 am

So if they have only had him a few months..they must be his second home already. Could they not consult a local dog behaviourist??
    kachinas
    Admin
    Admin

Post by kachinas on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:26 am

This I have asked them, I don't think they have given the poor boy a chance Crying or Very sad , I think they thought he would be as chilled as their girl is!
    I did say to them that it will take time, and always try to help him succeed in whatever they are wanting him to do, they said they left him for 20 mins and he trashed the place, and that it's the last straw. Crying or Very sad
    He had been kept in a kennel for the 6 months Pryor to them taking him, I said it will take time and commitment, he is an intelligent boy, he would get there if they put the work in! So sad! Crying or Very sad

Admin

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:43 am

That is just awful, he needs a lot of time spending on him, not just expecting him to fall in with wherever he is just now, he must be so confused, poor lad. If he has never lived in a house before that will be confusing for him as well, having said that, Blaidd seems to have come to terms with it fairly quickly, but it is all about the temperament and this boy sounds like he has been pushed from pillar to post and never given a chance or had any proper quality time spent on him.

VIP
    VIP

Post by gbjoce on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:03 am

Well...could they not crate him or put him in a run if they have to leave him for a while. I leave Maska free if I am only gone for a short while but otherwise I use the crate or run.
    It is not so bad. I have Maska's crate in the dining room and I often find he has put himself in there and chooses to have a snooze in it so he cannot dislike it that much.. If I have to leave him for longer periods he has a run. Sometimes I leave him free in the house but if I am gone for a longer time then I dont as I know he does not like to be left alone.. He has not destroyed anything yet but maybe he would if he was left alone and free for too long.
    Can they not do something similar??
    kachinas
    Admin
    Admin

Post by kachinas on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:19 am

I did suggest a crate, when I went to see him and they told me about the trashing that he had been doing, I tried to point out that this would take time, and that the first weeks he was there he was too overcome to do anything, that's why it was only happening now as he was trying to settle in.
    When we went for a walk they had him on a long expendable line, he was all over the place, and taking no notice of anything they said, I advised them to have structured walks, and then to let him have a little more freedom when he had walked well for a time,. I suggested finding somewhere that was secure, like tennis courts where they could let him off lead to practise his recall.

Personally I feel upset that I've failed him, I could not offer them a quick fix! Sad

Admin

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:54 am

It's them that has failed him, wanting a quick fix like he is some sort of mechanical toy that needs mending and then he will be fine, might be them that needs mending!!!
    Those extending leads are just the worst thing, makes people lazy about teaching their dog simple things like walking quietly and sitting when they stop.

VIP
    VIP

Post by gbjoce on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:22 pm

Sounds like you did all you could do Kachinas. Quick fixes don't happen with dogs although programmes like 'It's me or the dog' give people the idea that it does!!
    Maska and I are still 'work in progress' in some areas and I have had him a year tomorrow! I remember arguing with my husband over using a flexi lead. I had one but found it gave the dog mixed messages when young and in training so did not use it after a while. A halti and a halti double lead are great for training. I only discovered a halti training lead a few months ago but it was excellent.
    Hopefully he will find a good home with someone with experience of big dogs.
    Wonder if Bryon is ready for another yet Mad
    yarrum
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1054
    Registration date : 2008-09-27

Post by yarrum on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:31 pm

Please folks remember also I am looking for a new home for Utah, now getting quite urgent, if anyone springs to mind, thanks in advance
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:51 pm

It wouldn't be right for Blaidd to have a dog like that as company. Remember that his problems stemmed from a senior, higher ranking dog attacking him, so this would just send him right back to where he started and all the work I have done with him and the work Byron is now doing with him would be completely wasted. He will now freely associate with other dogs without getting scared and running away, if you had seen him when he came back Joce, it would have broken your heart. He will have company, but I think he would be better with a girlfriend, he is quite comfortable being bossed around by females Very Happy Very Happy

VIP
    VIP

Post by gbjoce on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:12 pm

Wasn't being serious about Byron but someone like him seems to be what is needed. Sadly I know of no one who wants a dog never mind this one Sad
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:22 pm

I know Joce, and I agree with you, sadly people like Byron are few and far between these days, everyone seems to think they come in a box, with accessories, ready trained. I have seriously heard of people that get collies because they are 'already trained'. As you know yourself it takes hard graft that seems to be never ending sometimes, yet when you look back over a year you can see the obstacles that you have overcome, that at the time were overwhelming and things that you never thought you would achieve.

Post by Guest on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:31 pm

Admin wrote:I know Joce, and I agree with you, sadly people like Byron are few and far between these days, everyone seems to think they come in a box, with accessories, ready trained. I have seriously heard of people that get collies because they are 'already trained'. As you know yourself it takes hard graft that seems to be never ending sometimes, yet when you look back over a year you can see the obstacles that you have overcome, that at the time were overwhelming and things that you never thought you would achieve.

Very Happy Very Happy sorry admin lol! but I remember a some what panic stricken phone call from you saying " he's let Blaidd off the lead, off the lead and he's only been there just over a day" Very Happy ha ha you sounded so mother hen ish, clucking away over her chicks. I knew exactly what Byron was doing and that was showing Blaidd trust so that he could earn it back. That phone call did me a world of good because by you helping me recognising what Byron was doing made me readdress my training with Teller. She has come on leaps and bounds since then. So thankyou to all three of you lol!
    What it also re alliterated to me was how much society and society rules have indoctrinated into us fear, fear of letting our dogs be dogs least we be prosocuted should they do anything canine Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Which in turn brings about a new generation who do not know what NORMAL CAININE behaviour is nor their needs Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
    sorry if I've gone on a bit or slightly off subject lol! X
    wolfboy
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1101
    Registration date : 2010-05-17

Post by wolfboy on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:38 pm

Stuff like this really bugs me, I know that I don't know very much about the situation and I may be completely wrong but surely before they got the dog they met him, realised he had some issues and wouldn't be an overnight fixer upper.

What galls me is that he is a beautiful dog and sounds like he needs someone full time to bond with.
    it really wouldn't take much to turn him around, just committment and someone with enough experience and a firm hand to handle him.

what a shame Sad
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:10 am

Yeah Lyn you are spot on, what I didn't know, until I read Byron's update post, that he had put him on a long rope to see what he would do given the freedom, which is what I would have done, but thought Byron hadn't, and I know Blaidd can panic a little, I should have known better than to worry, because Byron had taken baby steps, but decided that after testing him on a line, it would be OK to let him loose, and even then taken the step of not giving him the chance to ignore recall, by stopping to examine things, thereby making Blaidd curious about what HE was doing and coming over for a nosy, Byron even then didn't make a move on him, just let him be and gradually get used to being touched, wish he lived nearer because he is just able to suss out and work with what he has got and then build on things very slowly over a period of time,no instant fixes expected just a gradual improvement in the situation. Byron I salute you, but that is why you were the right person to bring Blaidd on, you have more knowledge and experience in your little finger than I ever will have. Just a pity he isn't able to take both or either one of these boys currently looking for a home because I know they would be turned round and given another chance.

Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1196

Post by Awfal on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:02 am

kachinas wrote:Hi all,
    I have someone that has a N.I. cross, that needs to be rehomed asap! :-(
    His name is Whiley, he is 21 mths old, neutered only 3-4 weeks ago, Mother full NI, father half NI hal Malamute.
    He has issues, aggression towards other dogs, does not like being left alone, territorial with furnisher.

I know this is a long shot, but I said I would try to help.
    I have met this dog, as I did a 1-2-1 with them last week,
    they have another NI, a 6yr old female, who is quite mature and calm,
    however, they work all day, though sometimes they can take the dogs in with them, Whiley is proving to be more than a handful, I feel they are a little too laid back for him as he seemed to me to be a very willful boy. In the right hands I feel he will do well.
    I eel he would be better as an only dog, as he is not bonding with this couple Crying or Very sad
    When I met him, he had little interest in me other than a quick sniff, and he showed no interest in his owners.

I feel with structure in his life he will do well!

O poor dog, he looks a darling. Yet another case of people taking on a particular type of dog that very often prove impossible to leave home alone. Hal was such a dog, then Tai and now Ben. These dogs frequently suffer from separation anxiety, and it is often impossible to fix. We never did over the 10 years we had Hal. We eventually got to the stage where we could leave him alone in the house, but he would howl miserably for most of the time, and would touch no food and more seriously water at all until we returned. Several times Mike found him dehydrated from all the howling and lack of water, and we never ever left him home alone for long periods of time unless we were absolutely forced to, thankfully very rarely. I would love to help out, because in a loving home where there is someone with the dogs at all times, I am sure he would be absolutely fine. Hal would have been exactly the same had we both gone out to work all day, and ditto his son Ben, and I'm sure Tai to a lesser extent. When will people ever learn, poor poor dog - Mike would never agree to take on a third large dog, we can only just fit Ben and Tai in the back of the Audi!

Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1196

Post by Awfal on Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:09 am

keeper wrote:
    Admin wrote:I know Joce, and I agree with you, sadly people like Byron are few and far between these days, everyone seems to think they come in a box, with accessories, ready trained. I have seriously heard of people that get collies because they are 'already trained'. As you know yourself it takes hard graft that seems to be never ending sometimes, yet when you look back over a year you can see the obstacles that you have overcome, that at the time were overwhelming and things that you never thought you would achieve.

Very Happy Very Happy sorry admin lol! but I remember a some what panic stricken phone call from you saying " he's let Blaidd off the lead, off the lead and he's only been there just over a day" Very Happy ha ha you sounded so mother hen ish, clucking away over her chicks. I knew exactly what Byron was doing and that was showing Blaidd trust so that he could earn it back. That phone call did me a world of good because by you helping me recognising what Byron was doing made me readdress my training with Teller. She has come on leaps and bounds since then. So thankyou to all three of you lol!
    What it also re alliterated to me was how much society and society rules have indoctrinated into us fear, fear of letting our dogs be dogs least we be prosocuted should they do anything canine Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Which in turn brings about a new generation who do not know what NORMAL CAININE behaviour is nor their needs Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
    sorry if I've gone on a bit or slightly off subject lol! X

Excellent post Lyn! We refuse to keep our dogs on leads - I would only do so if they were a danger to people, and a danger to other dogs in terms of biting. They are neither. Ben is a handful, a watered down version of Hal but more aggressive in that, unlike his father, he will not tolerate another dog growling at him unless it was justified, ie sniffing a bitch's bottom and she growls, or he mounts a male and it growls. He doesn't use his teeth, but he flattens the other dog to teach it to have better manners, and so does Tai. They are both very sociable, and have to go and say hello to other dogs. Tai will do so now in a controlled manner, but Ben is still boisterous and loves to bound up until he gets a few feet away, and now he will lie down before getting up again to say hello. We let him off quite soon after having him, probably within a day or two from memory, but just kept him on the lead near roads where he might have squeezed through a hedge. But now, he is never on a lead, and neither is Tai or Gucci. As Mike says, you have to keep the faith! If you know your dogs will not bite, but is well socialised and wants to go and say hello, then you should trust him - and your training methods!
    gbjoce
    VIP
    VIP

Post by gbjoce on Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:18 pm

[quote="keeper Very Happy That phone call did me a world of good because by you helping me recognising what Byron was doing made me readdress my training with Teller. She has come on leaps and bounds since then. [/quote]

Hi Lyn..if and when you have a moment, I would really love you to expand this idea more.How you changed Teller's training and how it helped her etc

Maska is off lead when in quiet countryside, in the park and in the field at the top of the hill. So at least on one walk a day he would have an off lead period, sometimes on both walks.The rest of the time he is on lead, either his halti training lead or a lunge line.

I do this for two reasons:
    -
    1. He is a big dog and many people are afraid of him. Most stop and talk to him and he is always friendly to them but a few others are just grateful he is on a lead and would not feel comfortabkle with such a big dog .I feel as the owner of a big dog I have to take those considerations on board.

2. His recall is still work in progress. He is fine when no dogs are insight, pretty well 100 % when dogs are in the distance but we are still working on his recall when dogs are close and interacting with him . For that reason I also like him on a lead because I feel if something did happen, as his recall in not 100% in that area, I would not have full control over him. In the park I don't feel like that as I always ask the owners if their dog likes to play or if you choose to go to that park, you know your dogs are going to interact with lots of dogs and you are prepared to take the risk that there could be trouble. But just out walking I think is a different situation.

The reason for this ramble is to find out what you changed with Teller and how it helped her and to see if I could use any of the changes to help Maska.

I collected him from you a year today Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:07 pm