THE GATEWAY TO ALL THINGS UTONAGAN

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forum for the Original and Authentic Utonagan and Utonagan Type Dog.

Latest topics

» Happy Birthday.
What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm by Brandykins

» Despatches - Undercover Designer Dogs
What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am by Admin

» Sulin Puppies 8 weeks
What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 am by gbjoce

» Sulin Pups 5 Weeks Today
What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 am by windriver

» More Sulin Pic's of pups
What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am by Awfal

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DIRTY DOZEN
What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Awfal

» Sulin Puppies Now Four Weeks
What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am by gbjoce

» Are there Birthdays in Heaven?
What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm by Brandykins

» Hee! hee ! It's Crimbo !
What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm by Admin

Navigation

Affiliates

Poll

+2
Admin
gbjoce
6 posters

What is the daftest thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs?

gbjoce
    gbjoce
    VIP
    VIP

Number of posts : 3396
    Registration date : 2009-09-20

What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? Empty What is the daftest thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs?

Post by gbjoce Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:03 am

I was thinking about this the other day when June was talking about her dogs knowing the word ' back'. I did think that maybe my ' excuse me darling' was perhaps a bit silly. Smile

But tonight I think I topped that and even made myself think..are you mad?? I did actually laugh out loud.

The dogs were dashing along the hall and thinking about Mia's recent operation I actually found myself turning around and saying....in my best teacher voice....

'Can we have a little decorum here please'

Do you think the dogs understood???????
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 10610
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? Empty Re: What is the daftest thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs?

Post by Admin Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:19 am

Did they stop what they were doing Laughing Laughing Laughing if they did then they knew what you wanted, it is the tone of voice you use more than anything, I can say 'er excuse me.....' and they stop what they are doing immediately and look guilty!!!!
    gbjoce
    gbjoce
    VIP
    VIP

Number of posts : 3396
    Registration date : 2009-09-20

What is the daftest  thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs? Empty Re: What is the daftest thing you have ever said to your dog/dogs?

Post by gbjoce Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:26 am

Actually...yes they did...they stopped dashing about. I just thought ...you daft old bat...these are a couple of dogs you are talking to...not a couple of A level students!!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 10610

Post by Admin Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:36 am

It is the tone they understand, you could say to them 'oh you look beautiful today...' but in a cross tone and they would immediately think you were telling them off. I'll say 'Zillar come and put your lead on' and she'll come to me, because she knows the sequence and tone, but if I said it in a different way she would probably not!!! Then again they tell you to use one word commands, which I do at training, but at home I will chat to them, just like you do by the sound of it Laughing Laughing Laughing Instead of 'back' I'll say 'move over sweetheart' or 'can you go back for me please' lol! lol! lol!
    carol
    carol
    VIP
    VIP

Number of posts : 3364
    Registration date : 2008-09-24

Post by carol Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:33 am

I say quiet a lot to the dogs so they know quiet a lot of words. But also go on the sound of my voice,
    Sometimes done even have to speak take merlin few weeks ago someone gave me a nice mattress for the dogs he was laying on it in the other room I went in he dashes out low to the ground as I just picked up the corner he chewed off.
    And one other reason I talk to them lots they listen and they make more sence than vince does. One day they will answer back. Lol lol lol
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1196

Post by Awfal Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:14 am

I speak to my dogs just as if they were humans. I don't use a silly baby voice, but normal tone. I will ask them questions - but don't expect an answer, I'm not THAT bonkers!

I treat all animals like this - horses, dogs, cats, hamsters, whatever, and I find they really rather like it - I am working in an office in Northampton at the moment where one of my colleagues brings his dog in, a gorgeous chap he is (the dog, not the colleague) and he always make a bee line for me now, bless him.

Hal would understand words, not just tone. I don't think Tai or Ben do, except very simple words, but Hal was the master. We had to spell words backwards - he got used to them being spelled forwards, so for "out" we had to say "t-u-o" and "k-l-a-w". It didn't matter what tone you used, he would recognise the actual word - said, or spelled, backwards or forwards.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:29 am

What a clever dog Hal was, Tai and ben just being the simpletons of the dog world eh ! Laughing Laughing x
    kachinas
    kachinas
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 2702

Post by kachinas Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:58 am

I'm always talking to the dogs as well, I tell them all my troubles and swear them to secrcy! lol ( nobody's told yet! )
    Apparently I make my kids laugh, they have often asked me who I'm talking too! Rolling Eyes
    carol
    carol
    VIP
    VIP

Number of posts : 3364
    Registration date : 2008-09-24

Post by carol Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:50 pm

let just face it dogs are easyier to talk to, they dont argue back, they listern well, they keep secrets. loyal, you can work through problems and things by them just listerning, they do what you ask them to do, and most of all when your upset they give you big gooy eyes big hugs and wet kisses.

if you have a non hairie person you can say does all that then your lucky. Very Happy Very Happy

kachinas
    kachinas
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 2702

Post by kachinas Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:26 pm

So true Carol! Smile
    Jazz
    Jazz
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1484
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Post by Jazz Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:42 pm

I talk to the dogs, generally they listen more than mother haha, I talk to the ferrets and snakes too though. so maybe i'm a little bit madder. Oh and the mice i talk to the mice, they're fantastic they look like they're listening might just be that they're expecting food but i'm happy pretending they listen to me lol!
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1196

Post by Awfal Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:19 am

keeper wrote:What a clever dog Hal was, Tai and ben just being the simpletons of the dog world eh ! Laughing Laughing x

oooo!! Wash your mouth out with soap and water Lyn ... Tai and Ben are bristling with indignation!!

Hal was indeed a clever boy Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 pm