THE GATEWAY TO ALL THINGS UTONAGAN

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forum for the Original and Authentic Utonagan and Utonagan Type Dog.

Latest topics

» Happy Birthday.
Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm by Brandykins

» Despatches - Undercover Designer Dogs
Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am by Admin

» Sulin Puppies 8 weeks
Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 am by gbjoce

» Sulin Pups 5 Weeks Today
Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 am by windriver

» More Sulin Pic's of pups
Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am by Awfal

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DIRTY DOZEN
Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Awfal

» Sulin Puppies Now Four Weeks
Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am by gbjoce

» Are there Birthdays in Heaven?
Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm by Brandykins

» Hee! hee ! It's Crimbo !
Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm by Admin

Navigation

Affiliates

Poll

4 posters

Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results

Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 10610
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  Empty Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results

Post by Admin Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:52 am

As most of us are aware Degenerative Myelopathy is becoming a problem in German Shepherds, as Janine and I have a pure bred German Shepherd (Midnight Blue) and a GSDxMalamute (Cruz), which we intend to use within the Utonagan Breeding Programme, we decided to test for this, as the last thing we need is to pass this dreadful condition on to our breed,very pleased to announce both dogs are normal. Bit of a tense time whilst we waited for the test results I can tell you!!!!
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Juvenile
    Juvenile

Number of posts : 673
    Registration date : 2012-01-01

Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  Empty Re: Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results

Post by Lyn Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:44 am

May I be the first to say well done to both you and Janine/Chilli for being so responsible and setting such a good example for us all. Congratulations on the clear results for both furries. x
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results  Empty Re: Degenerative Myelopathy-Test Results

Post by Admin Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:09 am

Thanks Lyn, as you know when I discussed it with you, I have a horror of us bringing in something that isn't there already and making a bad situation worse. When Jan and I were discussing Cruz's health tests she said we would be stupid not to do the DM test first of all, and then if that went well, we could do the required tests, rather than spend a fortune doing the required tests and then find out we had DM carriers.
    DM has now been found in breeds that have originated with the GSD so not really worth closing our eyes and crossing our fingers and hoping it won't happen, it very well could.
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Juvenile
    Juvenile

Post by Lyn Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:22 am

Admin wrote:Thanks Lyn, as you know when I discussed it with you, I have a horror of us bringing in something that isn't there already and making a bad situation worse. When Jan and I were discussing Cruz's health tests she said we would be stupid not to do the DM test first of all, and then if that went well, we could do the required tests, rather than spend a fortune doing the required tests and then find out we had DM carriers.
    DM has now been found in breeds that have originated with the GSD so not really worth closing our eyes and crossing our fingers and hoping it won't happen, it very well could.

Absolutely Very Happy Well done Janine for being on the ball. x
    Chilli
    Chilli
    Juvenile
    Juvenile

Number of posts : 516
    Registration date : 2008-10-07

Post by Chilli Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Thanks Lyn. June and myself are trying to be on the ball, the last thing we need is more health problems. We're going to get enough crap from all around bringing in Cruz & Midnight as it is, all being the other tests go as well of course. It's our first step in the right direction, all we can do is hope it will be fruitful. x
    Lyn
    Lyn
    Juvenile
    Juvenile

Post by Lyn Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:48 pm

Chilli wrote:Thanks Lyn. June and myself are trying to be on the ball, the last thing we need is more health problems. We're going to get enough crap from all around bringing in Cruz & Midnight as it is, all being the other tests go as well of course. It's our first step in the right direction, all we can do is hope it will be fruitful. x

Your very welcome x
    I'm sure you will be fruitful as between June and yourself you both have great knowledge of genetics, history and experience. I send good wishes and luck to you both. xxx
    Brandykins
    Brandykins
    VIP
    VIP

Number of posts : 2715
    Registration date : 2008-09-24

Post by Brandykins Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Well done to you both. I don't understand all that (I'm a thicko) but sounds all good to me. Wish more did tests!

Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:39 pm

It is the problem in GSD's where their back end goes, to put it very basically, I'm sure if you google it it'll be more precise than that!!!! It is carried genetically, and all my dobies had it, so I know first hand how heart breaking it is. Also, it doesn't show itself until later years, so you would have more than likely had a few litters if you were a breeder, and never know until it was too late what you had done. Nowadays there is a test for it, so no excuse for anyone not to do the test!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:27 pm