THE GATEWAY TO ALL THINGS UTONAGAN

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forum for the Original and Authentic Utonagan and Utonagan Type Dog.

Latest topics

» Happy Birthday.
Happy Memories,well can you remember them? EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm by Brandykins

» Despatches - Undercover Designer Dogs
Happy Memories,well can you remember them? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am by Admin

» Sulin Puppies 8 weeks
Happy Memories,well can you remember them? EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 am by gbjoce

» Sulin Pups 5 Weeks Today
Happy Memories,well can you remember them? EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 am by windriver

» More Sulin Pic's of pups
Happy Memories,well can you remember them? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am by Awfal

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DIRTY DOZEN
Happy Memories,well can you remember them? EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Awfal

» Sulin Puppies Now Four Weeks
Happy Memories,well can you remember them? EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am by gbjoce

» Are there Birthdays in Heaven?
Happy Memories,well can you remember them? EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm by Brandykins

» Hee! hee ! It's Crimbo !
Happy Memories,well can you remember them? EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm by Admin

Navigation

Affiliates

Poll

5 posters

Happy Memories,well can you remember them?

kachinas
    kachinas
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 2702
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Happy Memories,well can you remember them? Empty Happy Memories,well can you remember them?

Post by kachinas Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:43 am

Growing Up
    >>
    >> Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite fast food when you were growing up?'
    >> 'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. All the food was slow.'
    >>
    >> 'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'
    >> 'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained. !
    >> 'Mum cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'
    >>
    >> By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
    >> But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it :
    >>
    >> Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans , set foot on a golf course, had holidays abroad or had a credit card.
    >>
    >> My parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).
    >>
    >> I remember we had a television which was really a piece of polished furniture, the screen seemed about 6” square (that is 150mm in new money).
    >> It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. And there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people...
    >>
    >> I never had a telephone in my room.The only phone was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already using the line.
    >>
    >> Pizzas were not delivered to our home... But milk was.
    >>
    >> All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers --my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. He had to get up at 6AM every morning.
    >>
    >> Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.
    >>
    >> If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing. My first burger was a “Wimpy”, however, you had to sit down on a chair, at a table. Then a waitress asked you politely, ”what would you like”. Your food was brought to you on a plate and you were also provided with a “knife and fork”. But the strange thing is……you paid for it after you had eaten it!!!!
    >>
    >> Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
    >>
    >> How many do you remember?
    >> Headlight dip switches on the floor.
    >> Ignition switches were on the dashboard and there was a magazine shelf underneath.
    >> Using hand signals for cars without indicators.You had to pull the “choke” out to start the engine MOT’s hadn’t been invented.One license covered everything on wheels.
    >> Bicycle clips for bicycles without chain guards.
    >> Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
    >>
    >> Older Than Dirt Quiz :
    >> Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.
    >>
    >> 1.Sweet cigarettes
    >> 2.Coffee bars with juke boxes
    >> 3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles
    >> 4. Party lines on the telephone
    >> 5.Newsreels before the main feature film
    >> 6.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])
    >> 7.Peashooters
    >> 8. Andy Pandy
    >> 9. 78 RPM records
    >> 10.Hi-fi's
    >> 11. Tin Baths
    >> 12. Blue flashbulbs
    >> 13. Cork popguns
    >> 14. Wolsley, Riley, Austin , Morris, Triumph and Vanden Plas Motor Cars
    >>
    >> 15. Sweets actually filled the wrappers
    >> 16. Washing machines with wringers
    >>
    >> If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
    >> If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
    >> If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,
    >> If you remembered 11-15 =You're older than dirt!
    >>
    >> I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.
    >>
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 10610

Happy Memories,well can you remember them? Empty Re: Happy Memories,well can you remember them?

Post by Admin Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:12 am

OK, I'm dirt.....what happens now Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1196

Happy Memories,well can you remember them? Empty Re: Happy Memories,well can you remember them?

Post by Awfal Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:17 am

I'm dirt !! And proud to be so !!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:22 am

Life was one heck of a lot simpler, you left your front door key on a piece of string pushed through the letter box, the back door open, and on a hot day you could go off for the day and leave your windows open, and no one ever came in and took anything.
    kachinas
    kachinas
    Admin
    Admin

Post by kachinas Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:41 am

Admin wrote:Life was one heck of a lot simpler, you left your front door key on a piece of string pushed through the letter box, the back door open, and on a hot day you could go off for the day and leave your windows open, and no one ever came in and took anything.

Yes but in those days we didn't have computers, DVD's, mobile phones, plasma tv's, posh camera's ect!. . . . well, I didn't! Laughing Laughing Laughing
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:27 am

Well no one did, but you could leave the money out for the milkman and the coalman, the postman used to pop any parcels on the kitchen table if no one was about, deliveries were left on the step, if the milk was out on a hot day a neighbour took it in (mind you, no fridges, there was a bucket of cold water for milk)
    Brandykins
    Brandykins
    VIP
    VIP

Number of posts : 2715
    Registration date : 2008-09-24

Post by Brandykins Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:35 pm

Well I can remember being taught to walk (was about 11 months old) - my Dad would walk me around the kitchen table (we lived in a room and kitchen on the top floor of a 3 storey Glasgow tenement in Govan) - Dad would put me on his feet and it would old my hands up and he held on to them and walked me round that table for hours (so it seemed)!!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:14 pm

Gosh you've got an amazing memory Rose Laughing Laughing
    kachinas
    kachinas
    Admin
    Admin

Post by kachinas Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 pm

Admin wrote:Well no one did, but you could leave the money out for the milkman and the coalman, the postman used to pop any parcels on the kitchen table if no one was about, deliveries were left on the step, if the milk was out on a hot day a neighbour took it in (mind you, no fridges, there was a bucket of cold water for milk)

Embarassed Embarassed aah, well yes, you have a very good point there!
    kazzanne
    kazzanne
    Youngster
    Youngster

Number of posts : 303
    Registration date : 2010-07-25

Post by kazzanne Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:31 pm

ok I took the test and I am getting older and on the verge of don't tell your age lol, I do remember my dad was a fan your not leaving the table until youve eaten your dinner or if you don't eat it for your tea you will be eating it cold for your breakfast yuk! there was no room for fussy eaters in our house!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:37 am

I know of loads of people who cook separate meals for everyone, when mine were young, I cooked one meal and they ate it, if not, there was nothing else!!!!! Also they had to sit at the table from being very young and began by sitting on my knee and having mashed potato and gravy with a bit of veg mashed in as well from my plate, graduating to a high chair and their own dish. I watch the grandchildren being chased about by their mothers with a spoon, because apparently they are unable to sit at the table for their meals, and I have to go off somewhere because I will explode. Rosie is good, but then Katie's mum has her whilst Katie is at work, and Katie's mum is my generation, so Rosie sits at the table, I do play the train goes in the tunnel games with her when we are coming to the end of her dish and she loses interest, but hey, compared to the rest she is a flaming saint!!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Has anyone noticed that children are no longer potty trained, but are running around in nappies at 3 Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Post by Awfal Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:42 am

This makes me sound almost as old as Admin (actually I am, but we keep it quiet!), but I absolutely agree. I think it is absolutely extraordinary that people pander so to their children these days. There was a lot to be said for the bad old days of Victorian barbarism - speak only when you are spoken to, ask to get down from the table, no elbows on the table until you are an Aunt, no pudding unless you ate your main course, say Grace before the meal starts, hands washed before a meal and inspection by parents before you are allowed to sit down, no talking with your mouth full, no getting up from the table whatsoever for any reason unless one of severe bowel dysfunction! Any divergence from this, would result in a swift clout round the back of the legs, or on the bottom.

It is unbelievable that children should be allowed to run around during meal times because they don't like to sit at table. I have never heard such nonsense in all my life. I would strap the little bar steward into his or her high chair, and there he would remain until he had eaten his food. I have no problem with playing choo choo trains with very young children, but they must sit in their high chair. It would not matter how much they screamed or cried, they could carry on until they were blue in the face, I would never give in. As for this ridiculous parent and child parking spaces, don't even mention them to me!! I take great delight in parking in them, provided there are no "ordinary" spaces free. At 56, with a bad back, neck and knees, I deserve an extra-wide parking space so I can get in and out of my car easily far more than some sprightly young mum does!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:56 am

I am considered 'bad' because I attempted to feed George a carrot baton once when he was nearly one and still not on solids Shocked also the same with Jack, so I just keep away now, hence the reason I go elsewhere before I explode. These kids are 2 now and still don't eat what everyone else eats, then they wonder why they get faddy kids Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Oh and I mustn't let them have any of the orange juice I am drinking!!!!! Like I say Rosie is the best one out of the lot, but even she was running around in nappies at 3, although have to say last time I saw her she was nappyless-but still! Shocked Shocked Shocked
    Mine survived my tender ministrations and eat anything and everything, were toilet trained early, were dry at night by 2 except for odd mishaps, and I was working full time!!!
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Post by Awfal Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:49 am

Please someone tell me what on EARTH can be wrong with a carrot baton!! I suspect the poor child is fed with all sorts of crap such as biscuits and other junk food, hence a carrot baton should be considered the Holy Grail
    !! At 2, Holly was eating everything that we were eating - wild mushrooms, garlic, all manner of salads and other raw food, shellfish, meat of course, crudites, cooked veg, anything but junk food. She had her first ever piece of refined carboyhydrate on her 1st birthday - which was a piece of her birthday cake. I never ever allowed her anything with refined carbs. She is now 23, does not have a filling in her head despite never brushing her teeth, and will eat anything. She was lactose intolerant, so was never given milk, but was OK with sheeps yoghourt which I used to make myself so it wasn't laden with sugar. Despite all Holly's problems, she was dry at night well by 2, although she wore a nappy at night just in case. I despair for today's kids, I really do. Never allowed to eat proper food, get dirty, climb trees, take risks, get exposed to germs, they are pampered, carted everywhere in cars, are overfed and under-exercised and would have no idea how to survive without electricity, gas or running water.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:59 am

The reason he couldn't have a carrot baton was because it MAY have been cooked in salt water!!!! Instead they wanted him to eat pieces of cucumber, which he spat out, they are completely over the top, he wasn't allowed any solids till he was at least 6 months old, they even examine packets of organic stuff to see how many airmiles it has done Shocked Shocked Shocked So me offering him the carrot baton at less than 6 months coupled with the fact that it may have been cooked in salt water sent them into a tailspin!!!
    I just keep away from him, the poor little chap can't understand why, but I can't be doing with the total over the top stuff so would prefer not to be involved with him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:21 am