THE GATEWAY TO ALL THINGS UTONAGAN

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forum for the Original and Authentic Utonagan and Utonagan Type Dog.

Latest topics

» Happy Birthday.
Please don't feel guilty EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm by Brandykins

» Despatches - Undercover Designer Dogs
Please don't feel guilty EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am by Admin

» Sulin Puppies 8 weeks
Please don't feel guilty EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 am by gbjoce

» Sulin Pups 5 Weeks Today
Please don't feel guilty EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 am by windriver

» More Sulin Pic's of pups
Please don't feel guilty EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am by Awfal

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DIRTY DOZEN
Please don't feel guilty EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Awfal

» Sulin Puppies Now Four Weeks
Please don't feel guilty EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am by gbjoce

» Are there Birthdays in Heaven?
Please don't feel guilty EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm by Brandykins

» Hee! hee ! It's Crimbo !
Please don't feel guilty EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm by Admin

Navigation

Affiliates

Poll

+3
gbjoce
Admin
Jazz
7 posters

Please don't feel guilty

Please don't feel guilty Empty Please don't feel guilty

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:45 am

To those of you who do not or cannot feed a raw diet to your dog please do not feel guilty Smile I have fed raw for 5 generations BUT i am not completely against dogs being fed a good quality commercial canine cooked diet.I am definitely against dogs being fed a veggie one though. Not everyone who buys a pup has the confidence to feed raw if they have never done it , come to that I as a breeder do not always have the confidence in my owners to do it if they have never done it before either. Better a pup in an otherwise good home than not one at all just because the owners do not or cannot feed raw. Raw feeding a puppy needs experience, a lot of skeletal damage can be done if done incorrectly. I as a raw feeder and breeder always encourage my pup owners who want to raw feed but have never done it before to wait until the pup has matured and less damage can be caused should they make a mistake. Those owners very often come back for a second pup and when they do I am more than happy for them to raw feed from the beginning as I know they have worked close with me on their first dogs diet and have gained experience and are confident. However there has been a few keen first time raw feeders that have done it from the beginning but they have had a good understanding of it to begin with.
    We experienced raw feeders tend to forget how daunting and complicated raw feeding appears to the newcomer, to us it is like second nature. It is my own opinion that providing it is fed correctly it is the most natural and the best diet that you can give a dog but I must add that second to that is a good commercial one [ and there really is only a few and not all are the expensive ones either], dogs have also done well and remained healthy on such fare.
    I sometimes feel that through our enthusiasm as raw feeders can come across as putting commercial feeders down, I for one want it to be known that I don't but I do encourage owners to use a good one. lol!

Just would like to add that I follow the Julliette de Bairacli levy way of natural feeding dogs/animals. She is/was the first person/vet/herbalist to introduce raw feeding and herbs to the canine world some 50yrs and more ago. A very intresting woman indeed. I owe most of my knowledge to her.

Jazz
    Jazz
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1484
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Please don't feel guilty Empty Re: Please don't feel guilty

Post by Jazz Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:06 am

i agree veggie/vegan (yes ive seen articals) are not natural for dogs. even if i was veggie/vegan my animals will still be fed on what nature intended for them to eat.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 10610
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post by Admin Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:23 pm

My friend who has Kofie is veggie, she already fed naturediet, but was a bit iffy about carrying on with her raw feeding, however she had a chat with several of her friends who raw feed and they told her it wasn't going to be as bad as she thought, I made up several meals and froze them for her, and then she took it from there.Her OH. Andy, does the actual handling of the meat I understand, it must have been really hard for her to come to terms with it, but she did it for Kofie. The main thing with young pups is that you mustn't go above 20% bone in their meals as they can't get rid of excess calcium until about 20 weeks, I am lucky in that I have Lyn to fall back on if I am stuck or can't decide, I can ask advice on here (I did recently) or also I have Britbarf which I can't recommend enough for those of you who have never subscribed to it.
    Jazz
    Jazz
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1484
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Post by Jazz Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:39 pm

yeah i totally agree june Smile mums on the britbarf thingy too and i'm sure she recommends it also

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:01 pm

Admin wrote:My friend who has Kofie is veggie, she already fed naturediet, but was a bit iffy about carrying on with her raw feeding, however she had a chat with several of her friends who raw feed and they told her it wasn't going to be as bad as she thought, I made up several meals and froze them for her, and then she took it from there.Her OH. Andy, does the actual handling of the meat I understand, it must have been really hard for her to come to terms with it, but she did it for Kofie. The main thing with young pups is that you mustn't go above 20% bone in their meals as they can't get rid of excess calcium until about 20 weeks, I am lucky in that I have Lyn to fall back on if I am stuck or can't decide, I can ask advice on here (I did recently) or also I have Britbarf which I can't recommend enough for those of you who have never subscribed to it.

The trouble is that not everyone has someone on tap to go and ask for advise and as for the Barf diet I myself have tried it, I find it a bit itty bitty and a tad time consuming if you have more than say two dogs. I would like to say though that Mr billinghurst the founder of barf, his books are top of my reffrence books for raw feeding, ie indepth info on vits/minerals and his break downs on diffrent meats/veggies are brill. He also goes into the dogs skeleton and the effects that food can have on it. Deffinatley my number one reffrence book but Juliette Levy is my raw food bible.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:26 pm

I don`t feel guilty I tried with strider and chann but unfortunitely gsd`s have sensitive tummies and it didn`t work out. Now there on the best quality food that I can give them that does not upset there tummies!!!

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 pm

I wouldn`t recommend anyone to the raw diet unless they did the proper research into it, for adults or puppies having experience and having tried it myself

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:32 pm

ciaraone wrote:I wouldn`t recommend anyone to the raw diet unless they did the proper research into it, for adults or puppies having experience and having tried it myself

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:42 pm

sorry I am not an expert or anything but I did try it out and i have veterinary experience and I meant I wouldn`t recommend it unless that person is into research!!!!

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:46 pm

ciaraone wrote:sorry I am not an expert or anything but I did try it out and i have veterinary experience and I meant I wouldn`t recommend it unless that person is into research!!!!

I sort of agree scratch but then I think that know matter what animal or species it is, you should ALWAYS do your research and espeacialy with regards to feeding Very Happy

Post by Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:49 pm

I agree there bounce cheers
    gbjoce
    gbjoce
    VIP
    VIP

Number of posts : 3396
    Registration date : 2009-09-20

Post by gbjoce Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:14 am

Plus what meat do you feed them? Cheap, mass produced chicken breasts pumped full of growth hormones god knows what....is that healthy??? This very cheap chicken has been shown to have an amazingly high level of fat in it because of the way the animals are reared.

But to feed higher quality meats from a proper butcher who knows how the meat is sourced would be quite expensive. I have a very high quality butcher near me but he is expensive. His pet mince seems good quality....human quality but it costs a lot. I only add a small amount of meat to his diet so not too bad for me to buy it..

Wild rabbit I would probably be happy with but not that easy to get hold of .
    Shadsdad
    Shadsdad
    Youngster
    Youngster

Number of posts : 340
    Registration date : 2010-04-08

Post by Shadsdad Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:41 am

I just have to say, although we started out on the Billinghurst Barf diet, through experience we have adapted in a way to suit our dogs!

We now have a regime that suits both our Utes and our Dallies.

(And my Border Collie) LOL
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1196

Post by Awfal Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:50 am

ciaraone wrote:I don`t feel guilty I tried with strider and chann but unfortunitely gsd`s have sensitive tummies and it didn`t work out. Now there on the best quality food that I can give them that does not upset there tummies!!!

Which is why they should be raw fed !! I'm very confused with what you say, but interested at the same time. I have converted several GSD owners to raw, including our next door neighbours who almost lost their boy because he couldn't tolerate commercial dog food.

I would love to know what you fed them Ciaraone - this is a genuine question, based on a genuine desire to learn and understand, not me taking a pop at you. I have never, ever heard anyone say what you are saying, and I would love to learn what it was in particular that upset Strider and Chann so.
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1196

Post by Awfal Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:52 am

ciaraone wrote:I wouldn`t recommend anyone to the raw diet unless they did the proper research into it, for adults or puppies having experience and having tried it myself

I certainly will applaud that ! Feeding your dog is the most important aspect of your dog husbandry, and to radically make a change to such an important aspect of a dog's health such as diet without doing any research is plain madness.
    gbjoce
    gbjoce
    VIP
    VIP

Post by gbjoce Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:31 am

Julliette de Bairacli levy...never hard of her but she certainly looks interesting...will explore her further.
    ..I am not against raw feeding just maybe against raw feeding of the unnatural/unhealthy meats we produce these days. To feed healthy well reared animals would be very expensive unless you have them on your own land.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:40 am

Sometimes you have to compromise, all Landywoods meat is British, not imported and then packed in Britain. I pet mince from my butcher, that is pure 100% chicken that he makes himself. I myself would like to be able to eat organic meat, however I can't afford to, so I compromise on getting the best I can afford from a butcher and not a supermarket.

Post by Guest Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:58 am

Admin wrote:Sometimes you have to compromise, all Landywoods meat is British, not imported and then packed in Britain. I pet mince from my butcher, that is pure 100% chicken that he makes himself. I myself would like to be able to eat organic meat, however I can't afford to, so I compromise on getting the best I can afford from a butcher and not a supermarket.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing lol! Well rememberd lol! I love you I love you XX
    gbjoce
    gbjoce
    VIP
    VIP

Post by gbjoce Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:27 am

.Julliette de Bairacli Levy... She seems to have published so many books Lyn...where would I start? That is if her books do not now cost a fortune. Could not find any on ebay....

Post by Guest Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:58 am

gjoce wrote:.Juliette de Bairacli Levy... She seems to have published so many books Lyn...where would I start? That is if her books do not now cost a fortune. Could not find any on ebay....

The complete herbal book for the dog and cat is the book you need Joce Smile I have her first one which was the same title but without the cat in the title. She goes into raw feeding and herbs etc, I cannot recommend her high enough. All her books are good. She was loved all over the world, if you can, try and read her life story even if you do not use her raw feeding methods, I just know you will enjoy it.
    Faber and Faber were her publishers, maybe you could try Amazon, her books are not expensive.
    gbjoce
    gbjoce
    VIP
    VIP

Post by gbjoce Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:34 am

Thanks Lyn...have ordered that from Amazon. May become a convert yet.

I am sure what she says will be sensible...my issues are with mass produced meats rather than raw feeding. I eat them but try not to feed them to my granddaughter for example.
    Well, Maska is 10 months old and I would feel happy now that he is of an age when I would feel confident to explore the matter further.............I hate tinned dog foods and cheap kibble...don't feed either but...well, I will read more and decide after that Smile
    Zena
    Zena
    Youngster
    Youngster

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2010-10-21

Post by Zena Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:39 am

I have been making a start with raw feeding with my 2 cats for last 3 months but I also understand that a puppies dietary requirements will be different to the cats

Therefore will try to do some reading first and will start off with the food lynn gives and send off for some more of that and ask her advice on how to carry on to ensure a good healthy growth.

Also any links to recommended barf reading would be appreciated. So far I am a member of Barf UK where I buy heart chunks and chicken thighs and mince for the cats and also i buy mince and lamb from supermarket for them.
    June has suggested Britbarf and another company to me which is helpful.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:51 am

Allyiah
    Allyiah
    Newborn
    Newborn

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2010-10-13

Post by Allyiah Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:00 am

keeper wrote:
    gjoce wrote:.Juliette de Bairacli Levy... She seems to have published so many books Lyn...where would I start? That is if her books do not now cost a fortune. Could not find any on ebay....

The complete herbal book for the dog and cat is the book you need Joce Smile I have her first one which was the same title but without the cat in the title. She goes into raw feeding and herbs etc, I cannot recommend her high enough. All her books are good. She was loved all over the world, if you can, try and read her life story even if you do not use her raw feeding methods, I just know you will enjoy it.
    Faber and Faber were her publishers, maybe you could try Amazon, her books are not expensive.

I have never done or thought about raw feeding, neither did my parents as I was growing up, but the concept is starting to fascinate me. Please tell me all the benefits, does it increase bone strength, immune system, and growth, or is it other things??

I am geniunely interested.

Many thanks Very Happy
    Allyiah
    Allyiah
    Newborn
    Newborn

Number of posts : 96
    Registration date : 2010-10-13

Post by Allyiah Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:21 pm

After reading another similar thread I am sooo tempted to try it. I know it seems all I do is ask for advice on here but I think that when your around people that know things you don't it's a golden oppertuinity to learn so please could you help me out with advice.

Thank you sunny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:18 pm