THE GATEWAY TO ALL THINGS UTONAGAN

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forum for the Original and Authentic Utonagan and Utonagan Type Dog.

Latest topics

» Happy Birthday.
Cheap rice for roughage EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm by Brandykins

» Despatches - Undercover Designer Dogs
Cheap rice for roughage EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am by Admin

» Sulin Puppies 8 weeks
Cheap rice for roughage EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 am by gbjoce

» Sulin Pups 5 Weeks Today
Cheap rice for roughage EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 am by windriver

» More Sulin Pic's of pups
Cheap rice for roughage EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am by Awfal

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DIRTY DOZEN
Cheap rice for roughage EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Awfal

» Sulin Puppies Now Four Weeks
Cheap rice for roughage EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am by gbjoce

» Are there Birthdays in Heaven?
Cheap rice for roughage EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm by Brandykins

» Hee! hee ! It's Crimbo !
Cheap rice for roughage EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm by Admin

Navigation

Affiliates

Poll

3 posters

Cheap rice for roughage

955i
    Newborn
    Newborn

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2012-01-27

Cheap rice for roughage Empty Cheap rice for roughage

Post by 955i Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:46 am

As an additive to your raw diet to add roughage, if you have an oriental supermarket near you (one in most towns I think) you can get 10kg sacks of rice for around £12
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 10610
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Cheap rice for roughage Empty Re: Cheap rice for roughage

Post by Admin Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:30 am

Mine don't have grains of any sort, they have steamed veg. They make their own carbs from animal fats so don't need extra. Have a look on the britbarf site, that is marvellous for raw feeders, some of the people on there have been raw feeding for many many years, lots don't feed veg, but I subscribe to the view that when a wolf makes a kill, one of the first things it does is eat the stomach contents, which consists of partially digested vegetable matter, plus when you have to get the weight off like I have with Zillar you can bulk their meat up with veg and it doesn't make them fat like using rice or biscuit would for instance. I did puree veg until I needed to use loads to bulk the food up and Lyn suggested I steam veg in tinned tomato which is what I do now.
    955i
    Newborn
    Newborn

Number of posts : 71
    Registration date : 2012-01-27

Post by 955i Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:35 am

Admin wrote:Mine don't have grains of any sort, they have steamed veg. They make their own carbs from animal fats so don't need extra. Have a look on the britbarf site, that is marvellous for raw feeders, some of the people on there have been raw feeding for many many years, lots don't feed veg, but I subscribe to the view that when a wolf makes a kill, one of the first things it does is eat the stomach contents, which consists of partially digested vegetable matter, plus when you have to get the weight off like I have with Zillar you can bulk their meat up with veg and it doesn't make them fat like using rice or biscuit would for instance. I did puree veg until I needed to use loads to bulk the food up and Lyn suggested I steam veg in tinned tomato which is what I do now.

Thanks for that June, have been reading around and the raw diet is a bit of a minefield with so many different ways of doing it. Will have to get your recipe off you as I wouldn't want to change her diet too radically, although Jasper will love you as we are going to change his diet to it as well (gradually)
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:48 am

Here you are http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/BritBarf/
    you are right, raw feeding is a minefield, and we all have different ways of doing things, so doesn't mean anyone is right or wrong. However with having to be especially careful of Zillar's weight because of the damage caused by overfeeding, you're going to have to be really tight on stuff like this. She has treats, but they are cooked liver for instance, occasionally people at training wil give her a biscuit after asking me, but they have never passed her lips here.
    Will give you some veg to get you started and explain it all to you, I am here at the end of the phone, email etc for you, so never worry about asking for help. Also the raw feeding section on here is a good place, plus join britbarf and ask away on there, the amount of experience on that site is awesome.
    Most people on here do raw feed, so they can all give you input, it is what suits you and your lifestyle in the end.
    gbjoce
    gbjoce
    VIP
    VIP

Number of posts : 3396
    Registration date : 2009-09-20

Post by gbjoce Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:48 am

They make their own carbs from animal fats so don't need extra.

Well, I never knew that...
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:52 am

that's why all these 'complete' foods are a waste of time and money, literally, as they go straight through the dog, and that is how you get cow pats and elephant droppings, dogs don't need it, they can't digest it, so through it all goes!!!!!
    It also builds up in a sort of layer under the skin, giving rise to the 'doggy' smell you get and that immediately hits you when you walk in some houses, it goes rancid like a cheesy sort of thing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:29 pm