THE GATEWAY TO ALL THINGS UTONAGAN

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forum for the Original and Authentic Utonagan and Utonagan Type Dog.

Latest topics

» Happy Birthday.
Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm by Brandykins

» Despatches - Undercover Designer Dogs
Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am by Admin

» Sulin Puppies 8 weeks
Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 am by gbjoce

» Sulin Pups 5 Weeks Today
Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 am by windriver

» More Sulin Pic's of pups
Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am by Awfal

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DIRTY DOZEN
Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Awfal

» Sulin Puppies Now Four Weeks
Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am by gbjoce

» Are there Birthdays in Heaven?
Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm by Brandykins

» Hee! hee ! It's Crimbo !
Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm by Admin

Navigation

Affiliates

Poll

+2
Admin
Zena
6 posters

Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food

Zena
    Zena
    Youngster
    Youngster

Number of posts : 115
    Registration date : 2010-10-21

Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food Empty Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food

Post by Zena Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:36 am

My supplies arrived yesterday from Natural Instincts

10KG Working Dog
    5KG Puppy Food

plus 5 bones and the liver treats

Beowolf loves the liver treats and devours the bones and has eaten fresh mince ive fed him from supermarket bought beef mince, plus a bowl of heart chunks from BARF UK and also chicken thighs from supermarket raw. loves all those.

Refused his Natural Instincts puppy food last night, although will eat his Beta kibble and today also refused the puppy food and also tried him with the working dog version. licks it a bit but wont tuck in. Compared to supermarket mince ive noticed it is very mushy feeling and not sure he likes the texture.

Any suggestions? SHould I make my own version with mince, carrots, peas and fish oil or stick to kibble and give him raw via heart chunks and chicken thighs and the meaty bones.

Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food 004-2
    Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food 014
    Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food 016

Last edited by Zena on Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : photos added)

Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food Empty Re: Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food

Post by Guest Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:48 pm

I think you have spoilt him on what you have been giving him as the Natural instincts is what he and all of them have been brought up on. Edee is doing fine on it and eating it with relish lol! I would try gradually adding it with your butchers mince until it nearly all Instincts. Are you trying to feed it when he is not hungry enough? if so maybe you should give him that meal first and keep offering it until he does eat it ( hard I know but puppies can be very selective especially if they think that they can get away with it ). I have known pups to refuse everything except meaty bones and the owners panic because they are pups and so give in. I cannot stress enough that a complete food with all the vit, minerals, calcium ( bone ) is most important at this stage in a pups life. Any more probs give me a ring lol! XX
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 10610
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food Empty Re: Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food

Post by Admin Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:15 pm

Make sure your puree the veg before you give it to him as dogs can't break down cellulose and it goes straight through them. If they have a raw carrot it is purely recreational (mine love them) but they won't digest it and it comes out the other end in little lumps. Very Happy
    lizm
    lizm
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1100
    Registration date : 2009-10-27

Post by lizm Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:16 am

Change of environment ect has to be taken into consideration, stick to what he's used too so you dont have any problems, changing his diet will only give him the runs. imo (not that im any expert) but why change what works Very Happy
    Zena
    Zena
    Youngster
    Youngster

Number of posts : 115

Post by Zena Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Got him eating his natural instincts again today though with a little messing around. The main problem i think has been he is taking his cues from my other dog who doesnt like raw food and has been copying him with his eating so when reckitt was refusing so was he.

Today mixed the instincts pack in the bowls with the beta kibble mixed in and also a little of reckitts pedigree chum for taste. Made them both wait 8 hours with the bowls removed before i then fed them so both were hungry and they tucked in. Next meal a little less of the chum and a little more of the instincts, Beowolf finished his bowl. reckitt eaten some but left about half of his. Probably eaten as much of the chum and kibble as he could and eaten around the instincts as much as possible lol. I will convert him yet, but at 13 its hard to change his habits. When I first got reckitt all though years ago there was nothing like the raw diets out there or certainly no information that I found so he always had the average diet of kibble and tinned food. This last year been gradually introducing him a little at a time to it. he likes raw beef mince and meaty bones but not raw chicken (loves cooked chicken) Doesnt like heart chunks, although Beowolf and the 3 cats both clean their bowls for that and also raw chicken
    gbjoce
    gbjoce
    VIP
    VIP

Number of posts : 3396
    Registration date : 2009-09-20

Post by gbjoce Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:16 pm

Well, if he is 13, I guess you could safely say his diet has not done hime any harm Smile
    lupinaine
    lupinaine
    Newborn
    Newborn

Number of posts : 84

Post by lupinaine Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:58 am

Zena wrote:My supplies arrived yesterday from Natural Instincts

10KG Working Dog
    5KG Puppy Food

plus 5 bones and the liver treats

Beowolf loves the liver treats and devours the bones and has eaten fresh mince ive fed him from supermarket bought beef mince, plus a bowl of heart chunks from BARF UK and also chicken thighs from supermarket raw. loves all those.

Refused his Natural Instincts puppy food last night, although will eat his Beta kibble and today also refused the puppy food and also tried him with the working dog version. licks it a bit but wont tuck in. Compared to supermarket mince ive noticed it is very mushy feeling and not sure he likes the texture.

Hobo is the opposite
    He eats everything in sight
    He is loving the natural instincts and so is mookie and molly
    Placed 2 large orders the other day and the cats have had some of the puppy mince and they are lieing it too
    Natural instincts said they are going to be catering for cats next year.
    I find you you treat them in between meals with chews and stuff { which i wont do} then he will refuse
    Your spoiling him and need to get him back on track with the natural instincts

Any suggestions? SHould I make my own version with mince, carrots, peas and fish oil or stick to kibble and give him raw via heart chunks and chicken thighs and the meaty bones.

Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food 004-2
    Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food 014
    Beowolf refusing Natural Instincts Puppy Food 016
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1196
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Post by Awfal Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:15 am

keeper wrote:I think you have spoilt him on what you have been giving him as the Natural instincts is what he and all of them have been brought up on. Edee is doing fine on it and eating it with relish lol! I would try gradually adding it with your butchers mince until it nearly all Instincts. Are you trying to feed it when he is not hungry enough? if so maybe you should give him that meal first and keep offering it until he does eat it ( hard I know but puppies can be very selective especially if they think that they can get away with it ). I have known pups to refuse everything except meaty bones and the owners panic because they are pups and so give in. I cannot stress enough that a complete food with all the vit, minerals, calcium ( bone ) is most important at this stage in a pups life. Any more probs give me a ring lol! XX

Absolutely agree! Hal was an absolute nightmare with food all his life, but particularly when we switched him from Supa Greyhound Racer kibble on to raw. He basically starved for a week before he finally gave in and ate! You absolutely have to be hard-hearted - unless a puppy is extremely ill, they will NEVER allow themselves to starve to death! Hal would have happily lived on chicken wings, cooked liver, and a little raw muscle meat, with no veg at all, apart from carrots, and very little bone. We never "gave in", but stayed consistent and he was always extremely healthy as a consequence, if a little thin, bless him!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:57 pm