THE GATEWAY TO ALL THINGS UTONAGAN

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Donehogawa and Katoriesland congratulate Cruz on a hip score of 5;5 an elbow score of 0;0 and a clear eye test

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Forum for the Original and Authentic Utonagan and Utonagan Type Dog.

Latest topics

» Happy Birthday.
Advice Please on Bones EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:01 pm by Brandykins

» Despatches - Undercover Designer Dogs
Advice Please on Bones EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:50 am by Admin

» Sulin Puppies 8 weeks
Advice Please on Bones EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 5:18 am by gbjoce

» Sulin Pups 5 Weeks Today
Advice Please on Bones EmptySat Feb 16, 2013 7:27 am by windriver

» More Sulin Pic's of pups
Advice Please on Bones EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 12:01 am by Awfal

» HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DIRTY DOZEN
Advice Please on Bones EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 pm by Awfal

» Sulin Puppies Now Four Weeks
Advice Please on Bones EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 6:39 am by gbjoce

» Are there Birthdays in Heaven?
Advice Please on Bones EmptyWed Jan 09, 2013 6:44 pm by Brandykins

» Hee! hee ! It's Crimbo !
Advice Please on Bones EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 9:58 pm by Admin

Navigation

Affiliates

Poll

5 posters

Advice Please on Bones

Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Number of posts : 10610
    Registration date : 2008-09-23

Advice Please on Bones Empty Advice Please on Bones

Post by Admin Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:18 am

As everyone knows I get loads of bones every week. Tonight I opened my black bin liners to sort it all out and bag and freeze them. In them are some ribcages with tails attached, I think they are sheep, or they were sheep anyway. Now, are these recreational bones or would they count as a meal???
    I have my ever hungry little lad, but my girlies are chubby, especially Cariad, so I am thinking maybe should count them as a day's meal, there is a fair amount of meat on the tail bits. Am I right??? Or should I count them as a day's meal for the fatties and recreational for the little lad???

Advice Please on Bones Empty Re: Advice Please on Bones

Post by Guest Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:39 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I can't believe you've asked that after all your years of raw feeding lol! sorry June, it made me giggle though Laughing Good on you for asking though lol! I would give it to the chubbies as a meal after you've given them a small amount of tripe or what ever as they need that to mix with their veggies [ one rule of thumb for chubbies is to up their veggies and lower their meat]then give them the carcas after their meal. Baby can afford the little extra bone now and then so I would treat it as a snack/bone lol! Laughing Laughing XX
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 am

I usually give them their veg with the 1/4 pack of pet mince they have in the morning, I was thinking of giving them the ribcage and tail as brekkie and see how they go on with it, maybe give them sardines for tea with veg in it. I was just a bit stuck with them being fatties, I wouldn't normally give them lamb as it is so fatty, when it was very cold this last winter they had lamb them to help keep them warm (probably why they are fatties now Very Happy )
    However the ribcages are far too big for me to freeze and keep till winter, so they will have to be fed to them tomorrow. They are in my covered bucket ready for them in the morning
    I thought little lad would be OK with them as recreational, but just needed to check my thoughts were along the right track. Thanks for the advice Very Happy Very Happy

Post by Guest Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 am

June take the chubbies off the mince if it is pet mince as it's usually all fat. As for giving them the fish, I would leave it and only give them the meal that I suggested, that is more than enough for them with the weight that they are carrying lol!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:12 am

The mince is what my butcher makes and is 100% chicken, he makes it from carcass and I have seen him doing it, so I know exactly what goes in it. They get a sliver (and I do mean a sliver) of ox heart and every so often a chicken wing for brekkie with their veg and vits, a bone at lunch then a tin of sardines, tuna, tripe, turkey neck or white fish for tea. So the pack of mince is divided into half, little lad gets half, then they get the remaining half divided between them, some mornings they get a turkey wing for brekkie instead.

Post by Guest Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:16 am

It's obviously still a tad too much as they would'nt be chubby. I would give even smaller portions June.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:20 am

Poor girlies/chubbies Sad Sad Sad
    You'd have laughed to see my face when I opened the bin liners to see what looked like half skeletons of sheep in there Very Happy Very Happy never been faced with that before Very Happy Very Happy

Post by Guest Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:26 am

Said with affection ! lol! lol!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:41 pm

Fatties had the sheep each for brekkie and little lad had a turkey wing. I have saved him a rib cage sans tail for his lunch, girlies had pilchards last night so tonight they can have tuna and veggies and their vits and little lad can have something I haven't dragged out of the freezer yet Very Happy Very Happy I just managed to get it all in the smaller freezer last night, now I have to drag everything out to find something for his tea!!!!
    Cariad is funny with the sheep, she has it laid out neatly in the yard and is marching around it taking bits off here and there, Lona whisked her's straight into the kennel and is munching away like there is no tomorrow Very Happy Little lad grabbed the turkey wing and ran away into the big kennel before either his mum or auntie could take possession Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1196

Post by Awfal Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:22 pm

Admin wrote:As everyone knows I get loads of bones every week. Tonight I opened my black bin liners to sort it all out and bag and freeze them. In them are some ribcages with tails attached, I think they are sheep, or they were sheep anyway. Now, are these recreational bones or would they count as a meal???
    I have my ever hungry little lad, but my girlies are chubby, especially Cariad, so I am thinking maybe should count them as a day's meal, there is a fair amount of meat on the tail bits. Am I right??? Or should I count them as a day's meal for the fatties and recreational for the little lad???

Yes absolutely you should count everything that the Norties eat as being food. If they can crunch up into small enough pieces any bones, whether they are meaty or not, then they will be digested by the stomach enzymes, converted into glycogen to be used either as energy or converted to fat. Bones, even plain unmeaty bones, contain carbs, carbs which as we all know make us fat, particularly if they are bones containing marrow - marrow is very carbohydrate-rich, like liver, so therefore very fattening - very nutritious of course, but fattening nonetheless. To give an example of Tai's average daily food intake, this is what I feed him. He has nothing at all until after his first walk of the day, after which he will have a chicken wing, 2 at the most, or a small part of a turkey neck. He has nothing else until his evening meal, which he is given after his second walk of the day. A typical meal will be a pound of Landywoods minced meat with raw veg, a cod liver oil capsule, a couple of chicken wings and a raw meaty bone, probably a couple of ribs of breast of lamb. If we have been on a mountain bike ride, typically consisting of about 20 miles for us, more like 30 or 40 for him because he runs up and down a lot, then we will feed him as above, but he will get perhaps a whole turkey neck as well and a little raw liver. And that's it.

We tend to feed according to the amount of exercise taken. If, as happened after the dog show last weekend, it was so hot and Tai is exhausted, then we would hardly give him anything to eat at all, as he only went for about 1 mile on each of his 2 walks therefore did not need nearly so much food. We check his backbone regularly to make sure if it is really bony, and check that we can easily feed his ribcage, and that's it, we don't weigh him, we just keep a weather eye on his boniness! If he starting to get a bit too well covered, we up the exercise and cut down on the chicken wings, turkey necks (which are very fattening), and fill his bowl out with things like chopped raw carrot.

Just as with us, it is all about putting into the gob less calories than we expend out in energy. I just wish I could extend the same level of control on myself as I do on my dog - I would then be a size 10 !!

Hope this helps xx
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Post by Awfal Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:29 pm

Another good thing to remember perhaps is that dogs do not need to eat every day. I have never been able to starve my dogs for 1 day a week, but I know some people who do. It is supposed to be very good for them to give their digestive tract a rest, as in the wild they certainly would not make a kill every day - more like once a week if they were lucky!

If Tai or Gucci turn their noses up at what they have been given, then the bowl is immediately picked up and put in the fridge. No faddiness allowed in this house with children or dogs, so if you ever present them with something new June and they turn their noses up, just let them starve, they will soon eat it when they get hungry enough! When we converted Hal onto BARF, he ate nothing for a week except 1 chicken wing a day. He just would not eat raw meat, but in the end he was so starving hungry and so thin that he had to give in and eat! He came to absolutely no harm at all, he was just very thin for a while until he put the weight back on. It was a case of being cruel to be kind.

Good for you BTW for exposing yourself to Keeper's LOL's !!! Meant kindly of course, we all love the Norties to bits, and you, you old baglet you !! Incidentally, I have to say tbf how very well I thought you looked considering your vast age! I would never have put you at 61, more like 51, Mike commented on your running abilities round that ring in the heat !! My poor knee still hasn't covered from my pathetic hobblings!!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Ooooh tell Mike off for peeking at my knees lol! lol! lol!

My girls are getting nothing like Tai gets, in fact they don't get that between them!!! I now have my biking equipment, although not a harness as the measurements never worked, so will maybe get a normal harness, I can't do any biking at the moment with it being so hot and they get a run on the river with squeaky balls for them to fetch to me. Lona and Blaidd go swimming, Cariad won't go in past her tummy, once we get a bit of cooler weather she will get the longer walks and a bike ride when I do one to ones, with Lona doing the swimming I feel it has definately made a difference. lol! I can't do one to one's at the moment because my sciatica has flared up again and am existing on pain killers, so's I can run around the ring lol! lol! lol! The bonus of having 3 means that there is always company for someone, the drawback is that by the time I have done 3 separate walks I am ready for bed, even if it is only midday Sleep Sleep Sleep
    Good point about counting the bones as food Nikki, I had considered it but never considered it ENOUGH, they always get a bone at lunch usually with a banana. Then again if they were doing the 20 odd mile bike ride with me I reckon the weight would fall off them. A lot of this is from the situation I was in during the winter, I couldn't really get them out for walks because once the babies went outside I had to consider the risk of cross infection if I took Cariad anywhere, plus it was so icy I was scared ofslipping and breaking something, Lona couldn't go out because of cross infection and so it stayed for a very long time, meanwhile I had upped their food intake because of the intense cold, like we know to our cost it is a heck of a lot easier to put ON weight than it is to take it OFF lol! lol! My girlies have always eaten everything put down for them with rare exceptions like Cariad won't eat a whole fresh fish whilst Lona swallows it like a seal, Cariad will eat a whole rabbit with fur and just leaves me the skull and fur neatly wrapped around it, Lona won't even look at it. Blaidd does seem a little more picky, but like you Nikki I just take the bowl up, and it goes in the fridge till the next mealtime. There is stuff he really doesn't like, tuna being one, but if I mash a tin of sardines in it he eats it, I remember all you used to go through to get Hal to eat tripe lol! lol! lol! I know Lyn does a fast day as does Janine, I am afraid I can't do it, I am not able to resist those faces Very Happy I think all I can do for the moment is chip away at them, Cariad has lost some weight but not enough, and then will start biking when it is cooler, at the moment I am determined to enjoy this lovely weather as 6 months ago we were hacking our way through ice and snow out of the house and into the car, wood was being chopped to keep the fire, heating and hot water going, and the babies were under 2 heat lamps!!! I know which I prefer sunny sunny sunny sunny
    Thanks for all the input, it is great that there is such a vast store of knowledge and experience on here for us all to tap into, me included, there is always something new to be learned and I am never too old (despite what Nikki says Laughing Laughing ) to learn
    Nikki, you're not look so bad yourself for an old fart....(she is older than me really Rolling Eyes )
    Jazz
    Jazz
    Senior
    Senior

Number of posts : 1484
    Registration date : 2008-11-11

Post by Jazz Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:33 pm

i know this is off topic but do you ever wonder what it would be like to not have bones in your body?

an on topic i would consider giving the gang the bones (if there is a decent amount of meat on them) for a meal?
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:39 pm

we would be amoebas Bex Very Happy Very Happy

Billinghurst does recommend a very high proportion of bones in his books
    Jazz
    Jazz
    Senior
    Senior

Post by Jazz Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:42 pm

our gang do have a lot of bones the boarders have a chew too lol

edit: it does make their pop white a crumbly i find
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:49 pm

Yeah the crumbly white poo shows too much bone in the food so that indicates that you need to give something without a lot of bone, such as tinned or fresh fish, with extra veg, the poo should be firm, brown, small and easy to pick up
    Jazz
    Jazz
    Senior
    Senior

Post by Jazz Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:02 pm

yeah normally it is firm like today but sometimes i see horid white ones lol
    carol
    carol
    VIP
    VIP

Number of posts : 3364
    Registration date : 2008-09-24

Post by carol Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:56 pm

Jazz wrote:yeah normally it is firm like today but sometimes i see horid white ones lol

lol! lol! lol! thats normally shadows she goes round after having her bone and nicks everyone elses after they finished with them and eats them as well.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:44 am

Sounds just like her Auntie Lona, eats everything at top speed then goes round tormenting until she can get whatever is left pig pig
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Post by Awfal Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:32 am

Doesn't sound like you are over-feeding June at all in terms of quantity. As you say, the winter was a stinker, not conducive at all to bike rides and long long walks. Things like sardines are absolutely great for dogs, but because they are cooked and therefore very easily digested, they are quite fattening, as are soft fruits like banana and melon. Personally, Tai very very rarely has soft fruits like these for this reason, any bananas that have gone over are mashed up with his meat, but quantity adjustments are made to compensate for the carbs. Carbs in particular are extremely fattening to dogs, they don't need them for energy, they will use fat for energy ... just like us when we go on the Atkins diet, instead of the body converting the carbohydrate into glycogen and thence if unused into fat, the dog will burn the fat he consumes in his food for energy. Fat cannot be stored as fat, hence the reasoning behind the Atkins diet. So, I would possibly be tempted for now to cut right down on the carbs and concentrate on meat, meaty bones and raw veg only. No harm in the odd bit of fruit that would otherwise go off chucked in, or left-over table scraps (I hate waste), but watch out on the poultry wing and liver fronts, organ meat too such as heart and kidney is higher in carbohydrate than muscle meat and fat.

I so agree about the starvation day, I just can't do it, I feel such a meanie. Silly really because I used to starve myself totally for days at a time when I was younger in an attempt to be a size 12, but then I didn't have to look at my brown pleading eyes !!

I wouldn't worry too much about exercising them in the heat either. We still take Tai on long bike rides in the heat, provided there is shade for rest periods, and we carry loads of water on our bikes. We stop when we are biking along the canals about every mile or so in the shade, give him a drink, let him get his breath back and bike on. If there isn't much shade, we push him in (he usually manages to fall in in any case, the clumsy great oaf!), and this is of course very cooling. Even when Tai was plump and unfit at the start of the season, we would take him out for around 20 miles - we had that very hot spell a few weeks ago in early May, but he coped very well, the secret is to let them rest frequently and watch out for any flagging, they will let you know when they are truly overheated and not just unfit.
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:30 am

The reason they are getting bananas aplenty at the moment is because it is soooo hot they are going brown extremely quickly, I like greenish bananas so they get them when I don't fancy them.
    Doesn't sound as though there is a lot left to give them from your list, they occasionally get a chicken wing, turkey wing each for brekkie maybe a couple of times a week, the rest of the time 1/4 pack of chicken mince each with a sliver of heart, gone are the days when they used to get half a lamb heart each or a chunk of ox heart, they get tuna, pilchards and sardines, and of course white fish which is 6 pieces for £3 at Iceland, tripe and a couple of pieces of turkey neck that are Landywoods for tea. Today they got the lamb rib/tail for brekkie and I have a piece of fish out for them each for tea.
    No way can I face biking in this heat anyway, so will start that when I can, not ridden a bike (except at the disasterous Center Parc trip in February) for around 40 odd years, however my Center Parc trip did prove to me that I could still do it and didn't fall off. Maybe get myself a sled for the coming winter eh Twisted Evil Twisted Evil that should certainly burn of some of their fat, and probably send me a fear induced zombie-like state Shocked Shocked Shocked
    Jazz
    Jazz
    Senior
    Senior

Post by Jazz Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 am

scootering is fun! i recommend getting the gangline and harnesses now just to get them used to it before you start in the winter. we're not doing any work until winter either mia and merlin love it, shadow will when she calms down a bit lol!
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Post by Admin Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:03 am

My measuring is rubbish Bex, I could never get my measurements anything like they said they should have been for the x back harness Sad Sad Sad I did exactly as it said on the chart thingy and it was way out, so am a bit fed up about that, going to have another go at it, but will stick to the biking for the time being because I can use a normal harness on that.
    Jazz
    Jazz
    Senior
    Senior

Post by Jazz Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:07 am

i tell you what, i'll get mum to bring up our harnesses (we have three sizes) and try them on your gang to find out the sizes Smile
    Awfal
    Senior
    Senior

Post by Awfal Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:37 pm

I have this wonderful image of June in true Boadicea fashion being carted by the Norties along the river at top speed, hair streaming out behind, totally out of control having the time of her life !!

Go for it girl !!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:33 pm